[Freeswitch-users] Scaling Freeswitch

Benjamin Cropley benjamin.cropley at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 17:21:04 MSD 2016

This might sound like a lazy answer, but will help in the long term..

I'd suggest learning about SIP as a protocol before you do anything else.

You'll find learning the protocol itself inherently dictates how to scales
across multiple servers. For example, in defining what the role of a
Registrar is, SIP explains that a single 'server/process' can handle that
job independently of any other SIP related activity. It likewise discusses
that what a SBC is, and thereby helps understand that you can seperate the
handling of SIP and RTP to a proxy and media server.

Once you understand SIP properly, it's easy to come in and say "Well I need
a registrar.. that's OpenSIPS or Kamailio.. Now I need a server to handle
Media.. well FreeSWITCH does that.. I need a server to handle presence..
well presence can utilise dialog info to produce this I might as well use
OpenSIPS or Kamailio".

If you do implement it using Kazoo, using a guide, or whatever, you'll find
yourself learning about SIP anyway. Why don't you just attack it head on,
and you'll understand it all a bit better?

The latest OpenSIPS book has a good chapter on SIP I think is worth the
read.

I think this is why a lot of people are responding with 'it depends'. What
they really mean is, "SIP is a flexible protocol, and it's really your
choice in how you want to implement its various components".