[Freeswitch-users] Windows server + freeswitch

Dave Kompel drk at drkngs.net
Sun Sep 28 22:17:24 MSD 2014

I noticed a number of responses to this, but I´m gonna add my 2 cents.

First of all for new machines, there is no reason to install or buy an older version of the OS. The current version being sold is Server 2012 R2. Unless you need to operate with something that has been deprecated in the newer versions of the OS, and a lot of stuff has been since 2008R2, there would be no reason to go backward.

If we are talking about using an existing system, then the question is: Is there a reason to upgrade? And that would all depend on the application FS is being used for. Are you doing things where there are great performance improvements in newer versions of the OS? For example does your application do lots of Disk I/O? If so then consider upgrading since 2008R2 doesn´t handle 4k native sector size drives. Are you building an HA application? If so, consider 2012/2012R2 because you have much cheaper hardware solutions to cluster.

As you can see, there is no one correct answer.

--Dave