[Freeswitch-users] Gsmopen weird sound incoming

Giovanni Maruzzelli gmaruzz at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 13:03:24 MSK 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 3:16 AM, Peter Hartmann
<peter at hartmanncomputer.com>wrote:

> I'm using Ubuntu 12.04-amd64.  I have done some optimizations for
> Linux Audio and USB audio. These do seem to have improved the sound
> quality through the dongle but they haven't solved this weird sound
> problem on incoming calls.  If anyone's interested, my tweaks were;
> using the lowlatency kernel and adding 'snd-usb-audio nrpacks=1' to my
> /etc/modules.

Hello,

you would better unload any *any* snd* module from kernel. mod_gsmopen do
not use the audio subsystem at all, and those module can't have a positive
effect, quite possibly negative. mod_gsmopen has nothing to do with ALSA or
OSS, and do not use sound at all.

You would be better served by an install that is exactly as in the wiki
page.

mod_gsmopen exchange digital audio directly at sample level with the
dongle, through the serial interface. That dongle is not seen as an audio
card from the kernel, but as a modem (exactly as 4 modems).

Also, lowlatency kernel is not required or supported.

I've listened to the recordings, but I cannot hear bad sounds, just some
noise at beginning of recording.

How do you obtain those recordings? Eg: the exact procedure you use to
produce those files?

-giovanni

> Has anyone experienced this sound?
>
> Thanks much!