[Freeswitch-users] Non-numeric extension - bad idea?

Steven Schoch schoch+freeswitch.org at xwin32.com
Fri Feb 1 01:19:59 MSK 2013

We have a main number and extensions, but some people have their own DID
number that rings on line 2 (of a 2-line Polycom phone), with a separate
voice mailbox.

This "line 2" is not supposed to be an extension, so in its directory
entry, I have the "effective_caller_id_number" set to the DID number.

I don't want this line to be a real extension, so I set the user id to be a
descriptive short name, not a number.  Is this a bad idea?  The problem is
that it's impossible to check voice mail on that line because the user
can't dial the user id.

Would it be better to use the 10-digit number as the user id?  Or should I
use an extension number that starts with a different digit?  That would
solve the voice mail problem as well, because the dialplan passes the
caller-id to the voicemail check application.

--
Steve