[Freeswitch-users] Freeswitch hardware cofig

Brian Foster bdfoster at endigotech.com
Fri May 11 04:09:53 MSD 2012

Agreed with other's assessment of the situation, you're leaving out too
many details such as intended usage, OS, chipsets, etc. I can tell you that
i have ran FS on an extremely old laptop (1.0 GHZ Single-Core AMD w/512MB
RAM) and got 40 calls doing no transcoding. I could only do a couple of
calls with transcoding, then it would just crap out. That was on Debian
Sid.

So, there's a baseline. Sadly, I don't remember any other details on the
machine than those that I've listed.

On the other hand, I've gotten 6000 concurrent calls up at 150-200 CPS,
then the database crapped out. That one was tuned extensively, and was also
running on an 8 core machine at 1.8 Ghz and about 4GB RAM. There are a few
others in this community who have done much better than that (probably with
better equipment).

YMMV on all of this. There are so many factors involved that it's hard to
paint a picture unless you can be as detailed as humanly possible, and even
then sometimes that's not enough.

-BDF

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 7:53 PM, curriegrad2004 <curriegrad2004 at gmail.com>wrote:

> If you want 30 concurrent calls, that setup *should* handle it just
> fine. As the others have said, your mileage may vary so, don't take my
> judgement as is. You'd probably want to do more research in this
> aspect.
>
> Besides, a 1.6GHz Intel Atom is going to be slightly slower than a
> 1.6GHz Sandy Bridge Celeron processor, so simply having a CPU clock
> cycle figure is meaningless unless you know how well your processor
> performs in your desired application.
>
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Michael Collins <msc at freeswitch.org>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 12:43 PM, <tarik.bts.gi at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> What is the good hardware configuration
> >> that needs freeswitch to support more then 30 calls? We have now 1.6 GHz
> >> in the CPU and 2 GB in the mem but is not enough.
> >
> > What kind of processor? What operating system? Do you want 30
> simultaneous
> > calls or 30 new calls per second? Will you be doing transcoding on these
> > calls?
> >
> > All those details will help you decide what to do next.
> >
> > -MC

> > Professional FreeSWITCH Consulting Services:
> > consulting at freeswitch.org
> > http://www.freeswitchsolutions.com
> >

> > Official FreeSWITCH Sites
> > http://www.freeswitch.org
> > http://wiki.freeswitch.org
> > http://www.cluecon.com
> >
> > FreeSWITCH-users mailing list
> > http://www.freeswitch.org

> http://wiki.freeswitch.org

Brian D. Foster
Endigo Computer LLC
Email: bdfoster at endigotech.com
Phone: 317-800-7876
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA

This message contains confidential information and is intended for those
listed in the "To:", "CC:", and/or "BCC:" fields of the message header. If
you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing,
copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of
this information is strictly prohibited. E-mail transmission cannot be
guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted,
corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.
in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail
transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy
version.