[Freeswitch-users] g.729 Licenses from Freeswitch.org

Gabriel Kuri gkuri at ieee.org
Mon Apr 26 16:41:37 PDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Anthony Minessale <
anthony.minessale at gmail.com> wrote:

> Based on your response, I could be wrong but, I get the impression you are
> intentionally trying to stir up some kind of controversy.  Is there a
> specific reason you feel the need to raise your concerns on our general
> users mailing lists and not to consulting at freeswitch.org where they
> belong.  This has gone from asking some questions to some sort of rhetoric
> against our policy that clearly already addresses your concerns.

I'm not trying to stir up any controversy, I simply responded to Brian's
request on the mailing list, to "prove the machine is dead" when someone
asked about having a license reissued. We might have a need to purchase g729
licenses down the road, and I certainly think it's fair enough for us or
anyone else purchasing licenses, to know what you would expect of those
requesting a license reissued for any valid reason (not just for a dead
box). Requesting proof the box is dead, obviously seems a little difficult
to prove, which is why I posed those questions. Brian's and Mike's responses
of a signed paper stating the reason, seems fine to me.

There's nothing documented on how the licensing actually works other than
how to get it running - is it tied to the MAC address or some other hardware
ID, that would be good to know? If we were to purchase licenses, we'd want
to test them in our development environment first. I think something should
be added to the wiki so people don't accidentally activate the licenses on
their development server first, in order to test out mod_com_g729, and then
think they're just going to move the licenses over to their production
server and expect it to work. Why should I email consulting at freeswitch.org,
and exclude other people in the community that might be purchasing g729
licenses, I think they're completely valid questions anyone in the community
should know the answer to, no?

Do you really think you are going to have a whole bunch of boxes fail to
> some degree that we will not be willing to re-issue your licenses or are you
> just more interested in starting a flame war on our mailing list?  The
> licenses are to the specifications of the requirements of the contracts we
> signed.  We did so taking the on the risk and responsibility to make g729
> available to the community.

No, I don't really think all of our boxes are going to fail at once, it was
about reallocation of resources or upgrading a box, which occurs more often.
I think it's fair for us to know what to expect should we ask to have a
license reissued.

We had a discussion about floating licenses and concluded it was unwise and
> not worth the risk and security implications.  If you use g729 you know how
> much traffic you are going to use and if you want to remain stable you
> should not want to add another moving part to the equation that could go
> down and make all of your calls fail

While I understand your reasoning of adding something else to the equation
that could fail and cause dropped calls, I also feel that's a business
decision that should be made by the company purchasing the licenses,
assuming they're given both options (floating and server assigned). Given my
choice, I'd probably take that "chance" and would rather have floating
licenses but will take whatever you guys offer (not Howler), as I'm
committed to supporting the project as much as possible.

> This is the policy we have implemented and I think you are getting the good
> end of the bargain with a free telephony server with an efficient stable
> g729 codec implementation at an affordable cost.  If a high-enough demand
> arises for floating licenses and we have the time and resources to implement
> it, we may reconsider it but only a tiny fraction of our customers have even
> asked about it, let alone demanded it.

Yes, FreeSWITCH is awesome!

Cheers,
Gabe