[Freeswitch-users] g.729 Licenses from Freeswitch.org

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 15:22:30 PDT 2010

Based on your response, I could be wrong but, I get the impression you are
intentionally trying to stir up some kind of controversy.  Is there a
specific reason you feel the need to raise your concerns on our general
users mailing lists and not to consulting at freeswitch.org where they belong.
This has gone from asking some questions to some sort of rhetoric against
our policy that clearly already addresses your concerns.

Do you really think you are going to have a whole bunch of boxes fail to
some degree that we will not be willing to re-issue your licenses or are you
just more interested in starting a flame war on our mailing list?  The
licenses are to the specifications of the requirements of the contracts we
signed.  We did so taking the on the risk and responsibility to make g729
available to the community.

We had a discussion about floating licenses and concluded it was unwise and
not worth the risk and security implications.  If you use g729 you know how
much traffic you are going to use and if you want to remain stable you
should not want to add another moving part to the equation that could go
down and make all of your calls fail.

This is the policy we have implemented and I think you are getting the good
end of the bargain with a free telephony server with an efficient stable
g729 codec implementation at an affordable cost.  If a high-enough demand
arises for floating licenses and we have the time and resources to implement
it, we may reconsider it but only a tiny fraction of our customers have even
asked about it, let alone demanded it.

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 12:30 AM, Gabriel Kuri <gkuri at ieee.org> wrote:

> Send proof the machine is dead? Would you like a picture of smoke pouring
> out of a box in flames?
>
> What if you want to re-allocate the machine to do something else or just
> replace it with a more powerful machine? How are the licenses tied to the
> machine, MAC address?
>
> Any reason the "option" for a floating license model isn't available? It
> seems given the option between the two, I'd rather have the floating license
> model so I wouldn't need to prove my machine is dead before asking to have
> the licenses re-issued, unless of course the license server is dead. We swap
> production machines in/out all the time, particularly because we perform
> maintenance on one, so we have a spare, bring it up, take the other one
> down, perform maintenance, and bring it back up.
>
> With this model, floating licenses would be our only option, I really
> wouldn't want to be purchasing a bunch of extra licenses for spare machines.
>
> I can't imagine you guys really like making us feel like criminals by
> tieing the license to an actual box, what's wrong with the good 'ole "on
> your honor policy"? I realize the need to pay for valid g729 licenses, but
> prove the machine is dead? Is this requirement coming from Sipro?
>
> Cheers,
> Gabe
>

> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Brian West <brian at freeswitch.org> wrote:
>
>> If you have to replace the machine you'll have to send me the proof the
>> machine is dead and I can reset them... I can only do this 3 times before
>> you have to repurchase the license.
>>
>> /b
>>
>> On Apr 22, 2010, at 1:24 PM, Ken Fulmer wrote:
>>
>> 1.       Are these licenses additive? In other words, if I’ve purchased
>> one for a machine and need a total of five, can I purchase four more and add
>> them to the mix?
>> 2.       If we have to replace a machine, how can we replace the licenses
>> without repurchasing them?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ken Fulmer

Anthony Minessale II