[Freeswitch-users] Extension Configuration - XML File Entries for Group configuration

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Thu Nov 19 12:25:36 PST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 3:33 AM, Dave Stevenson
<stevendt at primrosebank.net>wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> Can someone please help me understand a little more about Group
> configuration ?
>
> I believe that Group Membership is configured in the
> \conf\directory\default.xml file
>
> I've done this and the caller groups seem to work fine.
>
> However, each extension in the \conf\directory\default directory, e.g.,
> 111.xml also has an entry for "callgroup"
>
> Can someone explain what the difference in these two options is please ?

The groups defined in conf/directory/default.xml correspond to the "group"
channel or group_call API as can be found in conf/dialplan/default.xml,
extensions 2000, 2001, and 2002.

Go to the fs_cli and type this:
group_call sales at 1.1.1.1 (where 1.1.1.1 is your FS IP addr)
You'll see that it returns a nicely formatted multiple dialstring for
dialing everyone in the group.

These have nothing to do with the "callgroup" variable that is defined on
each user in the default directory. That is just a variable - it isn't
required and doesn't have to be used, but it's available if you want it for
some reason. (For example, it will show up in XML CDRs for auth'd calls from
the user.)

Bottom line: if you're trying to dial multiple users (i.e. "group call")
then just use the group definitions in the directory and use either the
group_call API (like in ext 2000) or use the "group" channel (like in ext
2001 and 2002).

-MC