[Freeswitch-users] Should I choose FreeSwitch?

Lucia Rotger lrotger at aircomp.aero
Tue Sep 18 12:42:33 PDT 2007

Anthony,

> I know you excused the obvious bias but even then I typically as a
> policy do not recommend my own software to anyone.  I am able to invite
> you to help work on the project and to welcome any input you have.

Thanks for the invitation; now I'm busy setting this up but I will install
a test freeswitch sometime so I can get the hang of it. If you accept
recommendations at this point I'd say accurate documentation is a plus;
lack of it (or obsolete) is usually a showstopper. There is very good
software out there but lack of documentation keeps it from being widely
adopted (i.e. Zope).

> Like you say, you will find that Asterisk is designed with PBX in mind
> where FreeSWITCH has a primary focus on being a switching platform and
> an application server.  However, the way FreeSWITCH is designed it's
> more than possible to create a PBX environment just by way of
> configuration and possibly the addition of a few missing features that
> are mostly missing due to a non-urgency.  I myself have done extensive

I like the generality of working with a framework, that way weird
applications can be done.

> work on the Asterisk project which does give me the right to comment on
> the quality of the code.  I have many problems with Asterisk that have a
> great influence on why I started this project but I will not get into
> the details of them in this email.  That said I still contribute to the

Oh my, don't take my comment personally :) In fact independently of the
quality of the individual developers I know it's difficult to do good work
(and very frustrating) if the problem hasn't been addressed correctly from
the beginning, and this shows in Asterisk.

> Asterisk community to this day when I find time.  If you do decide to
> use Asterisk I highly recommend you stick with the 1.2 release for your
> best chance of success. You also may want to consider Call Weaver, GNU
> Bayonne or YATE just to make sure you have considered
>  all options.

I've also read somewhere that 1.2 is more stable than 1.4.

I appreciate you mentioning the other options. I already knew of them but
as I said the candidates are down to Asterisk and Freeswitch (well only
Asterisk now but still).

Thanks again for your kind reply :)
Lucia