[Freeswitch-users] Should I choose FreeSwitch?

Anthony Minessale anthmct at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 18 08:24:08 PDT 2007

I know you excused the obvious bias but even then I typically as a policy do not recommend my own software to anyone.  I am able to invite you to help work on the project and to welcome any input you have.

Like you say, you will find that Asterisk is designed with PBX in mind where FreeSWITCH has a primary focus on being a switching platform and an application server.  However, the way FreeSWITCH is designed it's more than possible to create a PBX environment just by way of configuration and possibly the addition of a few missing features that are mostly missing due to a non-urgency.  I myself have done extensive work on the Asterisk project which does give me the right to comment on the quality of the code.  I have many problems with Asterisk that have a great influence on why I started this project but I will not get into the details of them in this email.  That said I still contribute to the Asterisk community to this day when I find time.  If you do decide to use Asterisk I highly recommend you stick with the 1.2 release for your best chance of success. You also may want to consider Call Weaver, GNU Bayonne or YATE just to make sure you have considered
 all options.

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/