[Freeswitch-docs] Documentation Jira, guidelines

Bote Man bote_radio at botecomm.com
Wed Jun 11 04:56:27 MSD 2014

[ I'm moving this to the mailing list. The entire documentation team should be on the mailing list for these discussions, so please let BKW know if you are not on the list. Thanks. ]

Welcome back to life!

A) I think the Confluence permission matrix might still need some work. Ben Langfeld could not do anything the other day while logged in, he had to log out and post as anonymous in the blog comments at the bottom of the page for me to apply.

B) BKW created a Jira for the Documentation project at

https://jira.freeswitch.org/browse/DOCS

Now, unlike a software project I considered the documentation to be self-documenting J For example, if a page is not formatted properly it is apparent to the eye.

But with many people helping to move the wiki pages over perhaps we should use Jira to track the state of each Confluence page. I just want to avoid creating yet another database to maintain if it will not move the project forward. If it helps, then let's use it.

Suggestions?

C) That's quite a spreadsheet! I note a block of pages that are the FS Weekly which will not appear in Confluence. Also many pages for each channel variable. I think 2000+ pages is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much, especially when many of the variable pages in old wiki consist of the basic template that was never filled out.

Our objective is to make Confluence clean and concise, so if we can combine many small wiki pages into one useful Confluence page, that is a good goal.

D) All pages need reformatting on Confluence I'm finding. Please follow the guidelines on

https://confluence.freeswitch.org/display/FREESWITCH/Confluence+Wiki+Standards+and+Guidelines

>From your questions:

1) Some pages have been moved, but not tagged on the old wiki, this is true. Originally I put the wiki {{warning}} at the top with a pointer to the Confluence wiki, but later we chose the Category:Moved tag since it allows a list of moved pages to be created automatically on the old wiki.

2) There are many pages that should not be moved, I think.

3) There are some pages that were moved to Confluence at the beginning that do not follow the guidelines because we had not developed them yet, plus we did not know all the capabilities of Confluence. If anybody sees a page that needs attention, please correct it.

4) Special wiki pages can not be used, correct. Confluence has those built-in.

5) Confluence has many macros that are similar to the wiki special pages and template functions. This includes a Child Pages macro as seen on

https://confluence.freeswitch.org/display/FREESWITCH/Modules

The Confluence wiki is still a work in progress so we are keeping things "loose" while we discover the best practices to use.

If anybody finds a better way to do something, please tell us on this mailing list so we all can benefit from it.

Thanks!

Bote