[Freeswitch-users] Alternative Debian package builder

Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd] cal.leeming at simplicitymedialtd.co.uk
Sat Mar 16 20:14:52 MSK 2013

Sure I'm up for that, though I think discussing a bit more on email before
hand would be a good idea too.

I can do 10am Eastern on Wednesday, which would be 2pm GMT/UK time for us.

To clarify my own position on packaging.. Having the packages split into
their individual modules is a nice idea in theory, but it doesn't feel like
the 'Debian way'. Most Debian users are used to only installing just a few
packages, and the package maintainer decides what should be compiled in by
default (take nginx for example). The application then decides which
modules should be loaded in using the .so files (for example Apache). The
exception to this is Python, where you have external Python modules (such
as python-curl), however these not part of the Python core, thus why they
are kept separate. Standard python modules (such as zlib) are all included
by default.

I don't know enough about how FreeSWITCH module linking works, but I would
have thought that if a module is compiled dynamically, then it won't be
linked in unless it's specified in modules.conf.xml. In which case, you
could just have a single package with all the dynamic modules compiled in,
and you would change which modules are loaded in by editing your
modules.conf.xml. On that basis, I think that the modules should be
compiled as a single package.

Any thoughts?

Cal