[Freeswitch-users] T.38 bridge fails sometimes without proxy-media

Jeff Pyle jpyle at fidelityvoice.com
Tue Mar 12 21:43:59 MSK 2013

Hello,

I'm experiencing an issue similar to Jira
FS-4669<http://jira.freeswitch.org/browse/FS-4669> on
1.3.14b+git~20130306T182328Z~3e4fb4b0a2 (git 3e4fb4b 2013-03-06 18:23:28Z).
 The scenario at my customer's site is:

  XMediusFAX   ->   FS   ->   PSTN (usually Sonus GSX)
      or
  PSTN   ->   FS   ->   XMediusFAX

The XMediusFAX software and the PSTN are on two different sofia profiles
with the call bridged between them.  Either side can send the T.38
reinvite.  If the sofia profiles are configured for proxy-media, 100% of
calls are successful.  If the sofia profiles are not configured for
proxy-media but rather only t38-passthru, approximately 50% of the calls
are successful.  There are no config changes between a successful and a
failed call.

On the failing calls the reinvite completes successfully, but FS appears
not to pass the UDPTL properly.  Wireshark shows only egress "Unknown RTP
Version 0" where it would show UDPTL if the call were successful.  In other
words, the ingress UDPTL appears correct, but on failing calls the egress
media does.

I'm already yelling at myself for not filing a Jira yet.  That's the plan,
but I can't get it to fail in the lab, and the customer pcaps have too much
data I'm not allowed to share.  I'm wondering if anyone might have a
thought about what *might* cause this so I can make sure I reproduce it in
the lab accurately and file the Jira with sufficient data.

- Jeff