[Freeswitch-users] freeswitch CPU usage

Vlasis Hatzistavrou (KTI) vhatz at kinetix.gr
Sat Aug 21 07:54:48 PDT 2010

Giovanni Maruzzelli wrote:
> Vlasis,
>
> please calm down and try to understand the context you're interacting with.
>
> This is not a matter of civil rights or politically correctness or
> different sensibilities or respect for the freedom of speech or
> whatever thing of this kind.
>
> This is a matter about a consistent, practical and every time asserted
> displease from the core team developers (and most of the not-so-core
> team developers) toward stress tests and performance measurements.
>
> It has been stated many many times, and the reason is: because fake
> test (sipp) does not gives you results that reflects in real world
> case, because sipp is black magic, because there are many variable
> involved (OS, hardware, kind of load, etc), because this is likely to
> attract undue interest on naked figures [we can do 1 million
> cps!!!!!], because to get it right involves a tremendous lot of
> experience, because the only useful test for your usage is to put in
> production a reasonable dimensioned machine and then see of it goes,
> because we read all the message in the list and particularly on
> performance themes we are pushed to intervene before too many wrong
> things are asserted, we don't like threads debating about performance
> testing.
>
> But, because we're human and nice, and helpful and caring, on the side
> of the bashing we also offer pearls of wisdom that can be used for the
> purpose, instead of simply bashing or ignore the poster.
>
> So, take it as a mysterious ways of the Zen Masters to visit black art
> on performance test posters.
>
> -giovanni

Hello Giovanni,

First of all, what makes you think I am not calm? :):) No matter what
the context is, most of us expect basic courtesy from our peers in all
our interactions. When such courtesy becomes rare, some people may react.

It is not a matter of civil rights. There is a story behind this. I've
been treated badly when I raised questions in the past. We've argued
with Tony about this in the past. He said pretty much the same thing to
me as to Woody, that I was making money on his expense. A colleague of
his even suggested to us that VoIP testing is tricky giving us the
impression that it should probably not be done by us because we were
idiots.

People in this list are still treated badly for asking the simplest of
questions without being insulting or abusive in the slightest degree.
This is just crazy!

So, do you think that performance questions should not be brought up in
this list?

Or that they should be brought up only by some sort of gurus and not by
any guy who just installed FS and tries to learn it?

Don't you wonder why the devs feel that FS performance is so touchy a
subject?

Also, watch out because your post was probably longer than what the list
maintainers prefer... They may tell you off. If they don't, then they
just have double standards.

Rgds,
Vlasis.