[Freeswitch-users] freeswitch CPU usage

Giovanni Maruzzelli gmaruzz at celliax.org
Sat Aug 21 06:08:43 PDT 2010

Vlasis,

please calm down and try to understand the context you're interacting with.

This is not a matter of civil rights or politically correctness or
different sensibilities or respect for the freedom of speech or
whatever thing of this kind.

This is a matter about a consistent, practical and every time asserted
displease from the core team developers (and most of the not-so-core
team developers) toward stress tests and performance measurements.

It has been stated many many times, and the reason is: because fake
test (sipp) does not gives you results that reflects in real world
case, because sipp is black magic, because there are many variable
involved (OS, hardware, kind of load, etc), because this is likely to
attract undue interest on naked figures [we can do 1 million
cps!!!!!], because to get it right involves a tremendous lot of
experience, because the only useful test for your usage is to put in
production a reasonable dimensioned machine and then see of it goes,
because we read all the message in the list and particularly on
performance themes we are pushed to intervene before too many wrong
things are asserted, we don't like threads debating about performance
testing.

But, because we're human and nice, and helpful and caring, on the side
of the bashing we also offer pearls of wisdom that can be used for the
purpose, instead of simply bashing or ignore the poster.

So, take it as a mysterious ways of the Zen Masters to visit black art
on performance test posters.

-giovanni

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Vlasis Hatzistavrou (KTI)
<vhatz at kinetix.gr> wrote:

> Michael Collins wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>
>> You wrote in your reply to Woody: "Do you hear yourself btw?" I can ask
>> you the same question: Do you hear yourself? You act as if some subjects
>> are taboo in this list.
>
> Taboos aren't really the issue. Spending valuable time and energy in
> unfruitful debates is an issue.
>
> People at times have been accused of various different things in this list
> just because they dared to ask something! And all you have to say is that
> this is an unfruitful debate?
>
> For me the whole debate is VERY fruitful if the next user who dares to
> mention the dreaded word "performance" is spared the irony and the bashing.
>
>> > If you decide to reply again, please limit the length of your post.
>> >

>> Now it is the size of my posts that troubles you? I've seen longer posts
>> in the list and you didn't complain.
>
> Brevity is the essence of communication - I highly recommend it.
>
> Then, please recommend it to all cases and not just in my case.
>
> Tony's reply was not so brief either, so, please go ahead and say the same
> to him. That is, only if you care to appear impartial.
>
> Me on the other hand, I'd prefer an actual reply to my arguments, instead of
> dismissing the entire discussion for the sake of brevity. Up to now I have
> seen more evasion tactics than arguments against the points I've made.
>

> -MC
>
> P.S. - Just a clarification: Using SIPp is a "fake" test to do
> 200/400/600/xxx calls per second. Getting thousands of actual humans making
> actual calls is a "real" test. In other words, since SIPp can only do so
> much its test results are of limited value in the real world.
>
> Really, is this what a "fake" test is? Because I thought that it was a test
> that never actually happened. English is not my native language, but at
> least I know that much.
>
> What you wrote in your P.S. is so wrong in so many ways. For the "sake of
> brevity" I will only say that it is a bad attempt to cover Tony's rude reply
> to a list user and I'll leave it at that for the moment.
>
> Otherwise we will have to get in a discussion of what a test is, what is a
> "real" as opposed to a "fake" test and whether sipp or test tools in general
> have limited value in the real world. I don't have a problem with long
> discussions, but is seems they are not favored in this context so I'll pass
> for the moment, until the circumstances require it.
>

>> Perhaps you should add a size restriction directive in the mailing list
>> policy, along with a "no performance questions allowed" directive. That
>> should clear things up significantly.
>
> Would you be willing just to let the subject go? I think everyone is tired
> of this thread.
>
> Tired? Now you can speak for "everyone"? I know quite a few people who are
> actually reading this thread with lots of interest.
>
> Sure, I'm willing to let go... Are you?
>
> Have a great weekend,
> [...]

Sincerely,

Giovanni Maruzzelli