[Freeswitch-users] mod_radius_cdr questions and thoughts

Apostolos Pantsiopoulos regs at kinetix.gr
Tue Jan 27 05:05:44 PST 2009

Hi,

    After some testing I came to the following conclusions :

1) The problem (timeouts and retries) I describe below only happens when
there is no radius server responding on the other side.

2) It only happens when using the latest cvs version of radiusclient. If
you use version 1.1.6 it works fine.

I also read in the wiki (and found out myself by testing) that :

"Currently, the module blocks the thread while it is sending the
requests. This may cause threads to hang around longer than expected
after a call, if your RADIUS servers are not reachable/responding."

which I think is not desirable. Was this kind of behavior, been followed
intentionally?
I think that the NAS in most (if not all) implementations uses a
non-blocking operation
in order to proceed with the call. In that way there is not any
significant delay (up to 15 seconds if radius is down)
in the beginning of the call.
Also, I noticed that if the radius acct packet fails, FS does not
proceed with the call
which is again -in my opinion - wrong. I think that the NAS should be
able to continue with
the call even if the Acct start or stop failed.

For those directly involved in the maintenance of the mod_radius_cdr code :

Is it relatively easy to change the blocking behavior of the module?

Apostolos Pantsiopoulos
Kinetix Tele.com R & D
email: regs at kinetix.gr