[Freeswitch-users] mod_radius_cdr questions and thoughts

Apostolos Pantsiopoulos regs at kinetix.gr
Thu Jan 22 10:59:12 PST 2009

Chris Parker wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Apostolos Pantsiopoulos
> <regs at kinetix.gr <mailto:regs at kinetix.gr>> wrote:
>
>     I am trying to implement a radius based solution
>     using FS. I have seen that the mod_radius_cdr module
>     is actively maintained. so I have a few questions/remarks :
>
>     1) When I place a call and my radius server is down, the
>     call blocks forever instead of just radius_timeout * radius_retries
>     seconds (I have declared only one server). I would expect that
>     FS would stop trying to send an Acc Start packet after some
>     time and get on with the call.
>

> I have not seen this behavior.  If you can duplicate this, and propose
> a patch, it would be gladly welcomed.
I rebuilt and retried and the behavior persists.

The call progress freezes and I get the following in the log :

2009-01-22 20:48:32 [DEBUG] switch_core_state_machine.c:435
switch_core_session_run() (sofia/internal/9333 at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) State
ROUTING
2009-01-22 20:48:32 [DEBUG] mod_sofia.c:130 sofia_on_routing()
sofia/internal/9333 at xx.xxx.xxx.xxx SOFIA ROUTING
2009-01-22 20:48:32 [DEBUG] mod_radius_cdr.c:152 my_on_routing()
[mod_radius_cdr] Entering my_on_routing

 After I hangup the client and issue a shutdown in FS I get the following :

2009-01-22 20:50:50 [CRIT] sofia.c:794 sofia_profile_thread_run()
Waiting for 1 session(s)

repeatedly and FS never exits.

>     2) I have also noticed that FS sends only 1 packet (I waited for a
>     minute)
>     instead of 3 (default in the config) since the first (and second)
>     attempt failed.
>     If my server was up (the port was responding) but it returned a
>     req. failed
>     answer would the above time-out be valid?
>

> I have not seen this behavior.
The same here after the rebuild.

>     3) When I tried to load the dictionary.freeswitch to my freeradius
>     server, it complained :
>

> Don't do that.  The dictionary is for use with the radiusclient
> library.  FreeRADIUS already includes a dictionary for FreeSWITCH VSAs
> ( you may need to uncomment it to have it loaded into FreeRADIUS ).
I cannot find any reference to Freeswitch in the freeradius integrated
dictionaries (in the share folder). Can you pinpoint the
directory that a dictionary.freeswitch (or other FS related dictionary)
resides?

>     4) The radius attributes included in the current requests are
>     a) hard-coded, b) limited in number. I think many of us would like to
>     use more attributes. Or even better define what to include (and
>     what to
>     put in them) using a
>     config file (the same maybe?)
>

> This has been proposed.  There isn't yet a mechanism, though the
> intent is to use a general purpose FS VSA for this.  The code needs to
> be added to the mod_radius_cdr module to allow that to be a run_time
> configuration option.
A general purpose VSA that holds only one value or many? Or a mix (array
like)?

>     5) Does the module send accounting packets only for the a-leg
>     of a call or for both legs? (Maybe that could be configurable too).
>
>     If anyone is interested in the above questions/remarks please post
>     a reply. I would really like to know how many of the mailing list
>     users
>     are also interested in FS radius support and your opinions on the
>     matter.
>

> Again, patches are welcome.  :)
>
> -Chris

Apostolos Pantsiopoulos