[Freeswitch-users] mod_radius_cdr questions and thoughts

Chris Parker cparker at segv.org
Thu Jan 22 09:09:15 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Apostolos Pantsiopoulos
<regs at kinetix.gr>wrote:

> I am trying to implement a radius based solution
> using FS. I have seen that the mod_radius_cdr module
> is actively maintained. so I have a few questions/remarks :
>
> 1) When I place a call and my radius server is down, the
> call blocks forever instead of just radius_timeout * radius_retries
> seconds (I have declared only one server). I would expect that
> FS would stop trying to send an Acc Start packet after some
> time and get on with the call.

I have not seen this behavior.  If you can duplicate this, and propose a
patch, it would be gladly welcomed.

> 2) I have also noticed that FS sends only 1 packet (I waited for a minute)
> instead of 3 (default in the config) since the first (and second)
> attempt failed.
> If my server was up (the port was responding) but it returned a req. failed
> answer would the above time-out be valid?

I have not seen this behavior.

> 3) When I tried to load the dictionary.freeswitch to my freeradius
> server, it complained :

Don't do that.  The dictionary is for use with the radiusclient library.
FreeRADIUS already includes a dictionary for FreeSWITCH VSAs ( you may need
to uncomment it to have it loaded into FreeRADIUS ).

> 4) The radius attributes included in the current requests are
> a) hard-coded, b) limited in number. I think many of us would like to
> use more attributes. Or even better define what to include (and what to
> put in them) using a
> config file (the same maybe?)

This has been proposed.  There isn't yet a mechanism, though the intent is
to use a general purpose FS VSA for this.  The code needs to be added to the
mod_radius_cdr module to allow that to be a run_time configuration option.

> 5) Does the module send accounting packets only for the a-leg
> of a call or for both legs? (Maybe that could be configurable too).
>
> If anyone is interested in the above questions/remarks please post
> a reply. I would really like to know how many of the mailing list users
> are also interested in FS radius support and your opinions on the matter.

Again, patches are welcome.  :)

-Chris