[Freeswitch-users] mod_radius_cdr questions and thoughts

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 06:14:09 PST 2009

Sounds like having cake and eating it too.

The risk is obvious when using radius or some other additional protocol for
AAA that you will have trouble if the server is down.
Radius was designed to be fast and redundant, so typically you would have 5
radius servers not one.

I did not make mod_radius_cdr but I do pose this question:

Where should the burden lie to make sure the calls are not delayed when
choosing this option?

If you make FS cache all the radius requests it could not complete in a
timely manner, the whole point of keeping track of the exact time they
occurred is lost and you could have calls that ended before the start packet
ever was transmitted because they are cached in some process that will begin
to swell with memory remembering all the requests it could not send.  Then
somehow it needs to gracefully catch up again when the radius server comes
back.... This is the same reason I think that direct database CDR is a bad
idea.

The real answer is that you are not allowed to have your radius server down
at all, so you need more than one.  I used to be in the dialup business and
we had to have backup radius servers for the backup radius servers on a
completely different network just in case not only the server was down but
the network link to the server and it's backup server.  It's like DNS, I
can't ever be down or nothing works.

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/