[Freeswitch-users] mod_g729

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Thu Jan 22 16:19:00 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Kristian Kielhofner
<kristian.kielhofner at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 6:35 PM, Michael S Collins <msc at freeswitch.org> wrote:
>>

>> On Jan 22, 2009, at 3:15 PM, Brian West <brian at freeswitch.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Not really what I would call a break... but at some point in the $1.6
>>> million range you stop paying.
>>>
>>> /b
>>
>> Like I said, OSS FTW baby!
>> -MC
>
> Quite the contrary.
>
> If Speex means you require faster, more capable DSPs, you are going to
> continue paying for them per unit.  At $1.6mil you stop paying for
> G.729 licenses (basically a fixed cost at that point, regardless of
> volume or quantity).
>
> I'm sure most of the big guys paying for G.729 have no problem with that.
>
> I love OSS and Speex as much as any of us; I'm just trying to play
> devil's advocate and attempt to explain some of the strategy from
> those continuing to pay for G.729...

You're a good devil! ;)

I still have to wonder if g.729 is measurably "better" than Speex or
any other 8kHz CELP-based codec. What is that measurement? That's how
you can tell if it's "worth it" or not. As for me, I'd rather not get
locked in. Patent encumbrances are nasty and I prefer to avoid them
where possible. I think bigger businesses are starting to wise up to
that fact as well. I think Polycom's model is going to catch on:
codecs are "basically free" but are not open source. Not my favorite
option but if I get a license to use the codec in perpetuity then I'm
feeling pretty good.

-MC