[Freeswitch-users] mod_g729

Kristian Kielhofner kristian.kielhofner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 15:48:28 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 6:35 PM, Michael S Collins <msc at freeswitch.org> wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2009, at 3:15 PM, Brian West <brian at freeswitch.org> wrote:
>
>> Not really what I would call a break... but at some point in the $1.6
>> million range you stop paying.
>>
>> /b
>
> Like I said, OSS FTW baby!
> -MC

Quite the contrary.

If Speex means you require faster, more capable DSPs, you are going to
continue paying for them per unit.  At $1.6mil you stop paying for
G.729 licenses (basically a fixed cost at that point, regardless of
volume or quantity).

I'm sure most of the big guys paying for G.729 have no problem with that.

I love OSS and Speex as much as any of us; I'm just trying to play
devil's advocate and attempt to explain some of the strategy from
those continuing to pay for G.729...

--
Kristian Kielhofner
http://blog.krisk.org