[Freeswitch-users] Switching from Asterisk to Freeswitch?

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Thu Feb 12 09:03:23 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 6:11 AM, Fred <codecomplete at free.fr> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I successfully used Asterisk to build a voice server for our SOHO
> business. I did read the article comparing Asterisk to Freeswitch,
> but I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. What are the decisive reasons that would justify taking a look at
> Freeswitch? What makes it a better option?

The answer is, of course, "It depends." If all you need is a simple
PBX for your small office then Asterisk actually isn't necessarily a
bad choice. My personal experience from talking to people is that when
it works, it works well. As to the question of what makes FS and
better option than Asterisk it goes back to what you want to use it
for. But in a nutshell FreeSWITCH does a lot of things better:
FS is more scalable
FS is more modular
FS is much better written in terms of code quality - no voodoo

> 2. I'd like to build an affordable solution based on Asus' EeeBox and
> (because it's too small to add a PCI card) Sangoma's USB device to
> connect the host to POTS. Has someone successfully used Freeswitch to
> work on this hardware?
> www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24&l2=165
> http://wiki.sangoma.com/sangoma-wanpipe-usbfxo

I personally have not but keep asking around.

-MC