[Freeswitch-users] Switching from Asterisk to Freeswitch?

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 08:52:10 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 8:11 AM, Fred <codecomplete at free.fr> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I successfully used Asterisk to build a voice server for our SOHO
> business. I did read the article comparing Asterisk to Freeswitch,
> but I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. What are the decisive reasons that would justify taking a look at
> Freeswitch? What makes it a better option?

It's sort of a loaded question because we are likely to prefer FS having
worked on it for some years.
But anyway, since you asked, I prefer FS because it actually lets you do
thing things you dreamed of doing when you first try Asterisk.
Asterisk is somewhat like a mirage where you tend to see a pool of water and
end up jumping into a sand pit.
Asterisk doesn't lack at all in inspiration and possibilities but every time
I tried to make something from Asterisk I ended up with a mouth full of
sand.
Keep in mind I spent 3 years as a core developer in Asterisk doing my best
to contribute to its success so it was a pretty big challenge to have to
start over with all that functionality right at my fingertips and put up
with the claims it was "vaporware" but in 3 short years we have all the
functionality back and it's more scalable and is reaching towards the future
by supporting things like wideband and ultra wide band audio, resampling and
im integration.

The short answer to the question is because we are all perfectionists.

> 2. I'd like to build an affordable solution based on Asus' EeeBox and
> (because it's too small to add a PCI card) Sangoma's USB device to
> connect the host to POTS. Has someone successfully used Freeswitch to
> work on this hardware?
> www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24&l2=165
> http://wiki.sangoma.com/sangoma-wanpipe-usbfxo
>
> Thank you for your feedback.

We support Sangoma hardware so i am sure if it is not currently supported it
will be in the near future.
Sangoma has been a big proponent to FreeSWITCH and we have worked very
closely over the years.

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/