[Freeswitch-users] VoiceXML

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 18:59:11 PDT 2009

Composing an ivr with a visual tool and rendering it into something
serialized that can be understood by many
things is a good idea but every time someone makes a go at an open standard
they don't present it with wide open
and free tools to make and use it which always ends up ruining everything.

I can't find the free composer for vxml docs now... maybe they changed their
mind.

I set out to make vxml for asterisk in 2004, at the time the only lib was
openvxi and it was very hard to build.
I got so sick of trying to build it that spidermonkey caught my eye "Hey,
the xml is just turned into js code anyway!"
So i thought i'd cut out the middleman and I wrote res_js for asterisk.

They promptly wrote AEL and had no interest in the idea so it still sits in
a tarball somewhere alone in the dark =D

I ported the same idea to FS when the time came and thus mod_spidermonkey.

I'm not sure i like how CCML uses XML like a language but i have not dove
into it too deeply.
but <if> tags? That scares me.

I'm glad at least there is a discussion on this, maybe it would make a good
cluecon talk this year.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Steve Underwood <steveu at coppice.org> wrote:

> mszlazak wrote:
> > If you don't like vxml then here is a post on voicePHP
> >

> http://www.speechtechblog.com/2009/04/22/voicexml-to-go-down-in-the-third-says-voicephp
> >
> > It's from a vendor but there might be some good ideas to get from what
> they
> > are doing.
> >
> > FreeSWITCH needs demand to get vxml and it's not there yet. For now, it
> > looks like the FS community is waiting for demand instead of trying to
> > create it.
> >
> Its interesting how the VoiceXML pushers have been able to create the
> air in some circles that VoiceXML is the norm for IVR creation. Its
> actually pretty hard to find people who have ever used it.
>
> I think voiceXML has one big thing going for it - nothing else for IVR
> building has been standardised. Apart from that its really clunky. Only
> the most trivial examples look even moderately clean and readable.
>
> Steve

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/