[Freeswitch-users] IVR: Techniques for logging DTMFs to CDR

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Thu May 29 00:19:07 PDT 2008

Gang,

I'm working on my outbound IVR and I'm wondering if you have any
thoughts on this topic: I'd like to make a record of the digits dialed
by the called party.  For example, I have an IVR menu that says, "to
repeat these options, please press star."  I'd like to record how many
times the called party pressed star, along with all of the other digits.

What do you suggest?  One idea is to create a custom channel variable,
like "digits_recd" and make it a string of digits, appending a new digit
to the string with each key press on the part of the called party.  I do
like this idea because it preserves the order in which the digits are
received.

Any other suggestions?  I'd like to know what you've done.  BTW I'm not
using any scripting - this is all being done with the XML dialplan,
phrase macros and ivr menus.

Thanks,

Michael