[Freeswitch-users] Should I choose FreeSwitch?

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Sep 19 14:23:30 PDT 2007

On 9/19/07, Jonas Gauffin <jonas.gauffin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to get the FAQ back.
>
> A FAQ is an excellent way of knowing what are missing.
> Let users add questions to it, and then use that as a base to improve the
> documentation. I agree with that a FAQ should not be needed if the
> documentation is good, but since it's not complete, a FAQ is nice to
> information about what is missing.

The FAQ was never removed, its still there, however its not maintained like
it should be.  It claims certain things arent available when they have been
for a year.

The wiki is a community documentation project.  It enables each and every
one of you to not only read documentation, but also to update it and add to
it.  If documentation is missing, incorrect, incomplete then anyone can
create an account and add to it.  If its confusing, then an explanation that
isnt so confusing can be made.  No special access is required, just sign up
for an account if you dont have one.

Additionally the wiki documentation is used for a daily process that creates
a pdf for offline reading.  The pdf location is at
http://www.0xdecafbad.com/files/fsdoc.pdf and is something I personally do
for the community.  Any formatting problems in the pdf should be reported to
me, any problems in the content should be updated on the wiki and they will
then be reflected in the pdf within 24 hours.

The pdf is already over 480 pages, but its not complete, so help is
requested to get that a little more finished.

> Maybe add a new page called "Documentation requests" where user ask for
> some parts to be better documented.

at http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Documentation there is a documentation
guideline section at the top, so that the pages can have a uniform look and
feel, and at the bottom is a list of missing pages and empty pages.  There
are 40 such pages already that do need to be filled in at some point.

Last but not least, instruct users on the firstpage of the wiki how they can
> give documentation feedback (via any of the above options).

Being a wiki you are able to do that if you feel it needs to be done, you
can create a new page which goes into that or if its small enough make a new
section on the documentation page (which is linked to directly on the top
left of every wiki page).

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200