[Freeswitch-users] Conference How to?

Yossi Neiman iaxteling at cartissolutions.com
Mon Jul 10 17:18:15 PDT 2006

See inline comments.

Yossi Neiman
Cartis Solutions, Inc. - http://www.cartissolutions.com

Tom Chez wrote:

> I would like to test the FreeSwitch conference app for use as a
> WIDEBAND conference server. I have a few questions.
>
> 1. Can I connect to the FreeSwitch server with IDEFisk (IAX softphone)
> clients using the Speex codec?

I would expect that you can, as we do have speex support in the system.
(See in the source tree, under src/mod/codecs there is mod_speex)

> 2. Does this provide better quality than using Asterisk as the server?
> If so, why?

Quality is a subjective term.  Freeswitch is still a work in progress,
so we naturally do not support as many functions as Asterisk.  However,
what it does do, it does much better than Asterisk.  Three examples of
things that Freeswitch does better than Asterisk are a) Threading model
is completely different, and avoids deadlocks whereas Asterisk has
always had deadlock issues.  b) CDR records have two legs of each call.
This is kind of similar to double-entry accounting, in that you get to
see both sides of the transaction.  Each one is logged as a separate
record.  c) We are not restricted to using 8000 Hz sample rates whereas
in Asterisk I believe it is hardcoded into the core.

> 3. Will it run on the latest CentOs Server OS?

Don't know.  Probably does, so you can give it a try.

> 4. Is there documentation for simple "up and running" functionality tests?

Bah!  Documentation?  Nobody needs that!  (j/k)  I am not sure about
that one.  Perhaps somebody else knows if there is.  As I've been
developing together with the other devs for a few months now, so I think
I end up having to look a completely different set of documents.
Hopefully somebody will work up a nice frontend for the XML
configuration, with tooltips or something to help users configure.