[Freeswitch-docs] fs version

jungle Boogie jungleboogie0 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 19:26:34 MSD 2016

Hi Bote,
On 2 May 2016 at 07:41, Bote Man <bote_radio at botecomm.com> wrote:
> The "production" release version is indeed 1.6 package as I understand it. The incremental releases occur in the Master stream and are officially not recommended for production use, although I have had great success with them myself.
>
> When 1.8 is released that will be the time to update Confluence with that date. If the core developers have a different idea, then of course that is the way to go.

Okay, that makes sense. 1.6 is the release branch and 1.6.x are
security and other updates that come along in that branch from master.

> I have fallen out of the loop so I'm not sure about this, but it sure seems like they want people to use the packages and eschew compiling from source. I always compile from source because I like to make a change or two to the conference module before building FreeSWITCH.

Yes, the packaging seems to be the preferred way, and it's wonderful
how much time the core team has spent to make it more mainstream with
packages.

Because I also like to build from source, I updated this confluence
page to reflect what to do with source + master:
https://freeswitch.org/confluence/display/FREESWITCH/Debian+8+Jessie
(it's the last section towards the bottom)

> Unfortunately, in simplifying the documentation I think some useful tips to build from source have fallen through the cracks; that's why I saved the old page with "archive" tacked on to the page title. I need to build a new FreeSWITCH system for my lab so I will vet the current procedures and adjust the installation docs as needed.

Great, let's see what happens!

> The source for the source code is in Stash, same as it ever was. I sure that's in there!

Right, that's if people want to follow master or check out a branch.
What about a tar ball of the source code, where can that be found? And
should that be linked anywhere?