[Freeswitch-dev] Using system libraries

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 08:10:43 PDT 2010

Yes perhaps, but someone needs to provide the patch to make it work
*exactly* 100% the same as it does now by default and configure options to
specify the system packages, but some of them, sqlite3 and apr for example
will cause crashes if you use the system one because we have made local mods
to them.

Maybe you should uninstall the system copy if you don't need it and want to
save space.
Statically linking them only uses the part of the library we need anyway and
is not the same size cost
as using a shared version.

If there are special build options to the packages you can specify them to
the FS build system to pass them on.  Clearly you already have a package so
you managed to do something right.

Also keep in mind that the needs of us as the maintainers of the code and
the users at large outweigh the needs one one use case.

As a heads up we will never endorse using system libs with our application
unless at least 5 years have passed with a specific version of a specific
library that we can prove is not an issue.

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Daniel Dickinson <cshore at csolve.net>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on an embedded OpenWRT system, and am now the package
> maintainer for FreeSWITCH on OpenWRT.  I have FS successfully building
> and packaged (and installing and working) on brcm63xx, and building on
> the other OpenWRT architectures as well.  With 1.0.6 the build doesn't
> require any patches, although it does require some finagling (as is to
> be expected)
>
> However, during the process of getting this to work for 1.0.6 I noticed
> that FS doesn't use system libraries, but instead uses it's own copies
> of packages it downloads, configures, and compiles and statically
> links.  For OpenWRT this is problematic on two fronts.  The first is
> that some packages require special build options to cross-compile
> properly, and the second is on embedded systems have statically copies
> of packages that are also on the system, uses up valuable storage and
> RAM.
>
> Would it be possible for the build system to support the *option* of
> using system versions of the packages instead of static-linked versions?
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniel
>
> --
> And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
> now I have the rest of the afternoon to sniff fragrant tea-roses or
> strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore
> GnuPG Key Fingerprint 86 F5 81 A5 D4 2E 1F 1C      http://gnupg.org
> The C Shore (Daniel Dickinson's Website) http://cshore.is-a-geek.com

pstn:+19193869900