[Freeswitch-dev] hello and question

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Sun May 25 19:21:15 EDT 2008

I'll give you a heads up.  I could rant back and start a flame war with you
over this but I won't.

Plain and simple, I read this email and got instantly annoyed.
Especially....

" Speaking of which, a slightly different architecture/coding style might
have made the interfaces between the modules and the insides more
immediately clear..."

Stick with Asterisk then, I'm sure you will much more luck........

and ....

"I'm doing ok, but my
time is very valuable and not well-spent by figuring this stuff out from
the source code instead of looking at the reference docs."

HELLO? how valuable do you think my time is sir?  I have been working day
and night on this project for more than two solid years and I apologize that
it only fits your needs "except for one thing ...." I will gladly offer you
a refund on what you paid for the software.

You have some nerve to come here and plan to make a project out of my
software then complain to me that it is not perfectly handed to you on a
silver platter....WTF?.  I do not intend to supply you with any helpful
information until you apologize for your rude attitude.

To summarize I do not owe you anything, you can learn how it works and write
the missing documentation as a repayment for the software being open and
free for you to use if you wish.  Or you can come to IRC (once you have
publicly apologized) and lots of people including me would be happy to point
you in the right direction.

Good day sir.

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 12:11 AM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at>
wrote:

> I've been watching Freeswitch as a potential user for a while now (I
> used Asterisk for my last telephony project, Podlinez.net), but now I
> have need to do some even lower-level development and it looks like
> Freeswitch is a better choice than Asterisk... save one thing:
>
> Where the heck is the documentation that a (C/C++) module-writer needs?
> I've started writing a new endpoint module, and I'm making pretty good
> progress by reading the source code for other modules, but I have looked
> and looked and can't find a good reference for "these are the switch
> functions that are private, these are the switch functions you call if
> you're an endpoint module, these are the events you'll be sent if you're
> an endpoint module, etc."
>
> Speaking of which, a slightly different architecture/coding style might
> have made the interfaces between the modules and the insides more
> immediately clear... but in lieu of that, a good set of docs is going to
> be mandatory for people in my position. As it is, I'm doing ok, but my
> time is very valuable and not well-spent by figuring this stuff out from
> the source code instead of looking at the reference docs.
>
> So, is there documentation that I just haven't found the secret link to?
> If there isn't, is there someone who knows this stuff who can whip up a
> short list of things I might need to know (especially "gotchas") as an
> endpoint developer to save me some time?
>
> Matthew Kaufman
> matthew at matthew.at
> http://www.matthew.at

pstn:213-799-1400