[Freeswitch-dev] hello and question

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Sun May 25 20:31:12 EDT 2008

Anthony Minessale wrote:
> I'll give you a heads up.  I could rant back and start a flame war
> with you over this but I won't.
>
> Plain and simple, I read this email and got instantly annoyed.
Well, that wasn't my intent at all. Please read on for some
clarification. (It not being my intent to start a flame war either,
simply to clarify where I was coming from when I wrote that email late
last night)
> Especially....
>
> " Speaking of which, a slightly different architecture/coding style might
> have made the interfaces between the modules and the insides more
> immediately clear..."

There is a difference between minor critique of style (I said "slightly
different", as you can see) and thinking that the design is bad, the
software useless, or you a bad person. It was not my intent to
personally offend you (or any other contributor), but simply to point
out my view *as a new potential external developer* that, had things
been designed or implemented slightly differently, it would have been
easier *for me* *in my opinion* (not to be confused with the opinions of
other folks who might wish to develop modules) for me to come up to speed.

An example (that I did not include in my original message, which might
have made my intent more clear) is that it is very hard to tell that
"switch_core_session_get_channel()" is something that a module
apparently should be calling (as I can see mod_iax.c doing, for
instance) whereas "switch_core_timer_next()" looks to me like something
used internally that it probably isn't useful (or might even be
dangerous) for me to call. If there was a more clear delineation (in
their naming) of which switch_* functions are intended to be called by
certain types of modules, and which are intended entirely for internal
use, it might be possible for a new developer like me to pull up a list
of "these are the functions you're probably going to need to call to
implement X type of module, and if you don't call them, it is likely
that you've forgotten something".

Now that's just my opinion. There might be perfectly good reasons why
the naming is set up the way it is, or I may have even missed that
there's a clear distinction, but not found that yet. Or there might not
be any good reasons other than "you were the developer and you decided
to do it that way", which is also fine, as it is your code to set the
style of.

As I said, it wasn't my intent to personally offend you but to provide
an opening for some constructive input. I apologize for having caused
such a reaction on your part.

> Stick with Asterisk then, I'm sure you will much more luck........

I think I've already made it clear that I think the Freeswitch
architecture is superior, and that that's why I've even chosen to
develop modules for this rather than something else.
> and ....
>
> "I'm doing ok, but my
> time is very valuable and not well-spent by figuring this stuff out from
> the source code instead of looking at the reference docs."
>
> HELLO? how valuable do you think my time is sir?  I have been working
> day and night on this project for more than two solid years and I
> apologize that it only fits your needs "except for one thing ...." I
> will gladly offer you a refund on what you paid for the software.
>
> You have some nerve to come here and plan to make a project out of my
> software then complain to me that it is not perfectly handed to you on
> a silver platter....WTF?.  I do not intend to supply you with any
> helpful information until you apologize for your rude attitude.

Well, if you found it rude, than I apologize. I understand that you've
been working hard on this software, and the reported successes of users
of the code is a testament to that.

It is also my opinion that the value of your software hinges heavily on
what is contributed in the way of modules... I might be wrong, it might
be that you and the group of folks who have been contributing so far
will write all the modules it needs for the success you're looking for.
But if I'm right, then listening to the opinions of new folks who show
up who are trying to write modules might actually be of some benefit.

Just because I find my time to be valuable does in no way diminish the
value of yours. *My opinion* is that my time is not well-spent figuring
this stuff out from source code. That is likely the opinion of other new
folks who might want to develop modules. I might be wrong about that
too. In my experience, even your time would likely be better spent if
there was more reference documentation. That is why I suspect that it
actually exists, at least in the form of notes somewhere, and that I
simply haven't found it.

I'm not asking to have everything handed to me on a silver platter. I'm
asking for pointers to what does exist that I might have missed, and
providing my opinion as a newcomer that developing modules could be
easier (at least given the documentation I've managed to find so far)...
and my opinion that if it were, maybe there'd be more contributed
modules... which I think would be a good thing for your project.

> To summarize I do not owe you anything, you can learn how it works and
> write the missing documentation as a repayment for the software being
> open and free for you to use if you wish.  Or you can come to IRC
> (once you have publicly apologized) and lots of people including me
> would be happy to point you in the right direction.

You are right, I do not owe you anything. And I apologize if you think
that's what I claimed, because I've never thought that. I do plan to
learn how it works, even if there is nobody who wants to point me at
existing documentation, or even if there is no existing documentation.
If that is the case, it will take longer for my module to be written and
make it less likely that it will interoperate properly with the core
code. That will be my problem, of course, but *my opinion* is that it
will also be the experience of other module developers... maybe scare
them off entirely. And if that happens, the total collection of
Freeswitch and its modules will be less valuable than it might be
otherwise. Which, again, is *simply my opinion*. Perhaps it would
instead be better if a small core group of committed developers writes
them all, and those of us with our own crazy ideas never have our
modules see the light of day... you never know.

Matthew Kaufman
matthew at matthew.at
http://www.matthew.at