[Freeswitch-dev] hello and question

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Sun May 25 01:11:45 EDT 2008

I've been watching Freeswitch as a potential user for a while now (I
used Asterisk for my last telephony project, Podlinez.net), but now I
have need to do some even lower-level development and it looks like
Freeswitch is a better choice than Asterisk... save one thing:

Where the heck is the documentation that a (C/C++) module-writer needs?
I've started writing a new endpoint module, and I'm making pretty good
progress by reading the source code for other modules, but I have looked
and looked and can't find a good reference for "these are the switch
functions that are private, these are the switch functions you call if
you're an endpoint module, these are the events you'll be sent if you're
an endpoint module, etc."

Speaking of which, a slightly different architecture/coding style might
have made the interfaces between the modules and the insides more
immediately clear... but in lieu of that, a good set of docs is going to
be mandatory for people in my position. As it is, I'm doing ok, but my
time is very valuable and not well-spent by figuring this stuff out from
the source code instead of looking at the reference docs.

So, is there documentation that I just haven't found the secret link to?
If there isn't, is there someone who knows this stuff who can whip up a
short list of things I might need to know (especially "gotchas") as an
endpoint developer to save me some time?

Matthew Kaufman
matthew at matthew.at
http://www.matthew.at