[Freeswitch-dev] mod_ruby/mod_mono

James Martelletti james at nerdc0re.com
Sun Sep 17 00:14:08 EDT 2006

Derek,

Everybody has a personal favourite, and for all the factors you weigh
up there, I came to the conclusion of C#. However this is going to be
different among different people. I'll be writing a little more soon
about what mod_mono does for FreeSwitch, but I think that in the end
trends will develop as to who uses what.

Luckily for everybody the core tightly controls most of your
concerns. The clarity of code and ease of use, FreeSwitch's concept
of a session and a channel and a codec and an application and an
event and etc etc will be transferable between all languages
FreeSwitch implements and I think that in the end you'll find that
the only difference between the documentation and the implementations
will be the syntax that is used, the core also helps to ensure
resilience to errors.

I'm working on mod_mono because I believe it offers one of the best
frameworks for FreeSwitch's situation. We have a flexible platform
that is well designed and constructed, now I think that the perfect
touch is to make it as easy as possible for module developers to
develop code that can take full advantage of FreeSwitch.

A lot of people have misconceptions about the .NET framework and what
exactly it offers, for anybody who'd like to learn;

http://www.mono-project.com/FAQ:_General
http://www.mono-project.com/Languages
http://www.mono-project.com/Plans

This site here;

http://www.dotnetpowered.com/languages.aspx

Would have me believe that there will be support for nearly 50
languages in FreeSwitch, including, Ada, APL, AsmL, Basic, BETA, BF,
C, C#, C++, Caml, CAT, Cobol, CULE, Eiffel, Forth, Fortran, G#,
Haskell, IL/MSIL, Java, JavaScript, Lexico, LISP, LOGO, Lua, Mercury,
Mixal, Modula-2, Mondrian, Oberon, Nemerle, Pan, Perl, Pascal, PHP,
Processing, Prolog, Python, Ruby, RPG, Scala, Scheme, Smalltalk, SML,
Spry, Synergy, Tcl/Tk, Visual Objects & Zonnon.

To sum this post up, I don't think it's going to be too much of a
concern whether people choose to use mod_ruby, mod_python, mod_mono,
mod_spidermonkey or anything else that may exist, as long as they can
all operate well together, which the core will ensure. As a result
people will be free to pick and choose the modules that make up their
switch.

Thanks,

James

On 16/09/2006, at 8:17 AM, Derek Smithies wrote:

> Hi,
>  You note the speed of java as being higher than python, and almost
> on a
> par with C++... Implying that C++ is faster than python.
>
> Well,, my colleague has long said that python is faster than C++.
>
> My conclusion..
>  different languages are faster at different things. Speed
> comparisons are
> "interesting", but often misleading.
>
> For a control language, speed is (almost) irrelevant. What really
> matters
> to the "person out there", who has just downloaded Freeswitch and
> is using
> it to do things like control a phone network, is
>    a) clarity of code,
>    b) ease of use,
>    c) reslience to errors.
>    d) lots of web tutorials on the language, so he/she can get
> going with
>       the new control language in the minimum of time.
>
> Now,  given that set of constraints, what is the ideal language???
>
> ======
> As a diversion, I would note that I have been to  lots of seminars
> where
> someone has presented their new software. There is almost always a
> slide
> or 2 on why they picked the language they did which contains speed
> etc and
> other considerations. However, if you look a bit more, you discover
> that
> (almost always) the language was picked cause that was the only
> language
> the author felt comfortable in.
>
> Thus, let us think hard about why we want any add on language to
> Freeswitch before adding it.
>

> Derek.
>
>  On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, Nikolay Kolev wrote:
>
>> Ivan:
>>
>> Java is way faster than ruby, python, javascript, etc. It's faster
>> than mono
>> too and almost at par w/ C++! I don't know how you came up with
>> "slow"!
>>
>> Nikolay

>>> freeswitch-dev