[Freeswitch-dev] mod_ruby/mod_mono

john at ecntelecoms.com john at ecntelecoms.com
Sun Sep 17 02:50:30 EDT 2006

Hi James

I suspect that the approach to design that you are recommending may lead
to confusion and could retard interoperability and useability going
forward. We should as the freeswitch community should create a set of
design standards that address architectural principles, coding standards,
languages used, development environment/tools, core functionality, release
strategy - the SIPX project on Sipfoundary does this particularly well.
Ideally the 'Freeswitch core' should be developed in C or C++ and should
be abstracted from the 'Freeswitch application layer' via Web Services
compliant modules that use open XML based standards and transport
protocols.  This approach would preserve the design integrity of the
Freeswitch core whilst providing developers with a range of development
languages to develop peripheral application level modules. Java, .NET and
many other language frameworks provide the APIs and tools that you need to
create and deploy interoperable Web Services and clients.

Best Regards

John

> [...]
> languages in FreeSwitch, including, Ada, APL, AsmL, Basic, BETA, BF,
> C, C#, C++, Caml, CAT, Cobol, CULE, Eiffel, Forth, Fortran, G#,
> Haskell, IL/MSIL, Java, JavaScript, Lexico, LISP, LOGO, Lua, Mercury,
> Mixal, Modula-2, Mondrian, Oberon, Nemerle, Pan, Perl, Pascal, PHP,
> Processing, Prolog, Python, Ruby, RPG, Scala, Scheme, Smalltalk, SML,
> Spry, Synergy, Tcl/Tk, Visual Objects & Zonnon.
>
> To sum this post up, I don't think it's going to be too much of a
> concern whether people choose to use mod_ruby, mod_python, mod_mono,
> mod_spidermonkey or anything else that may exist, as long as they can
> all operate well together, which the core will ensure. As a result
> people will be free to pick and choose the modules that make up their
> switch.
>
> Thanks,
>
> James
>
> On 16/09/2006, at 8:17 AM, Derek Smithies wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>  You note the speed of java as being higher than python, and almost
>> on a
>> par with C++... Implying that C++ is faster than python.
>>
>> Well,, my colleague has long said that python is faster than C++.
>>
>> My conclusion..
>>  different languages are faster at different things. Speed
>> comparisons are
>> "interesting", but often misleading.
>>
>> For a control language, speed is (almost) irrelevant. What really
>> matters
>> to the "person out there", who has just downloaded Freeswitch and
>> is using
>> it to do things like control a phone network, is
>>    a) clarity of code,
>>    b) ease of use,
>>    c) reslience to errors.
>>    d) lots of web tutorials on the language, so he/she can get
>> going with
>>       the new control language in the minimum of time.
>>
>> Now,  given that set of constraints, what is the ideal language???
>>
>> ======
>> As a diversion, I would note that I have been to  lots of seminars
>> where
>> someone has presented their new software. There is almost always a
>> slide
>> or 2 on why they picked the language they did which contains speed
>> etc and
>> other considerations. However, if you look a bit more, you discover
>> that
>> (almost always) the language was picked cause that was the only
>> language
>> the author felt comfortable in.
>>
>> Thus, let us think hard about why we want any add on language to
>> Freeswitch before adding it.
>>

>> Derek.
>>
>>  On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, Nikolay Kolev wrote:
>>
>>> Ivan:
>>>
>>> Java is way faster than ruby, python, javascript, etc. It's faster
>>> than mono
>>> too and almost at par w/ C++! I don't know how you came up with

>>> dev
>>> http://www.freeswitch.org

>>> dev
>>> http://www.freeswitch.org