[Freeswitch-dev] mod_ruby

Derek Smithies derek at indranet.co.nz
Fri Sep 15 18:17:35 EDT 2006

Hi,
 You note the speed of java as being higher than python, and almost on a
par with C++... Implying that C++ is faster than python.

Well,, my colleague has long said that python is faster than C++.

My conclusion..
 different languages are faster at different things. Speed comparisons are
"interesting", but often misleading.

For a control language, speed is (almost) irrelevant. What really matters
to the "person out there", who has just downloaded Freeswitch and is using
it to do things like control a phone network, is
   a) clarity of code,
   b) ease of use,
   c) reslience to errors.
   d) lots of web tutorials on the language, so he/she can get going with
      the new control language in the minimum of time.

Now,  given that set of constraints, what is the ideal language???

======
As a diversion, I would note that I have been to  lots of seminars where
someone has presented their new software. There is almost always a slide
or 2 on why they picked the language they did which contains speed etc and
other considerations. However, if you look a bit more, you discover that
(almost always) the language was picked cause that was the only language
the author felt comfortable in.

Thus, let us think hard about why we want any add on language to
Freeswitch before adding it.

Derek.