[Freeswitch-dev] Compiling error - libsndfile.so

Roman Shaposhnik rvs at sun.com
Thu Oct 12 00:01:49 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 05:58 -0700, Anthony Minessale wrote:
> Stuart, Since this is a mailing list I am going to talk to some other
> people to save time on mutiple emails, excuse me a minute:
>
> Roman, Here is the downside to your suggestion, this guy is unhappy
> just because he *thinks* we keep his code in our tree.

  I sort of disagree. I believe that this guys is unhappy because
what we have in FreeSwitch now is kind of worst of both worlds --
we don't really want to rely on preinstalled and prepackaged libraries
available on the system, yet we also don't want to bite the bullet
and privatize the code. Personally, I think this is one of the
greatest myth of OpenSource that all you have to do in order to
build a reliable package is: ./configure && make && make install.

  What we currently have in FreeSwith is an attempt to rely on
that. I've used to do lots of packaging for Solaris and believe
me -- there's not much else I hate more than autotools complexity. :-(

  Anyway, it looks like my proposal doesn't really resonate with
lots of folks here, which means I have to come up with extra
benefits. My angle would be a performance one. Stay tuned...

Thanks,
Roman.