[Freeswitch-dev] Compiling error - libsndfile.so

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Wed Oct 11 17:11:28 EDT 2006

On Wed 11 Oct 2006 15:58, Anthony Minessale wrote:
> Ok I'll try this one more time.
>
> BEGIN ---------------------------------------------------------
> Quite simple,
>
> When our build process gets to the module building stage, each module
> has it's own Makefile with targets to build it's own depends.
> it downloads the tarball with wget and configures it to the same
> target prefix as all of the others.  The lines you pasted reflect
> that the directories in the install prefix and the cwd at build time
> contain the word "freeswitch" and does not imply much more than that.
>
> snippit of our mod_sndfile's Makefile
> depends:
>         MAKE=$(MAKE) $(BASE)/build/buildlib.sh $(BASE) install
> libsndfile-1.0.16.tar.gz --prefix=$(PREFIX) --disable-sqlite
>
> Like I said we only host the exact tarball on our server, checksum it if
> you wish: http://svn.freeswitch.org/downloads/libs/libsndfile-1.0.16.tar.gz
>
> Feel free to see for yourself if you still do not believe me.
> http://svn.freeswitch.org/svn/freeswitch/trunk
> http://svn.freeswitch.org/svn/freeswitch/trunk/src/mod/formats/mod_sndfile/
>
> Your library is a welcome addition as a module to our software and
> we have had little trouble with it, thank you.
> If you would reccommend we use the newer version let me know:
> anthmct at yahoo.com
>
> END ---------------------------------------------------------
>
> Stuart, Since this is a mailing list I am going to talk to some other
> people to save time on mutiple emails, excuse me a minute:
>
> Roman, Here is the downside to your suggestion, this guy is unhappy just
> because he *thinks* we keep his code in our tree.

This is not the only reason. As many of you know I have been a fairly vocol
opponent of including external libraries into FreeSWITCH (and other projects)
for a while. In the end most users will simply use the rpms provided on the
website or by their distro so providing packages and helping out distro
packagers is a much better use of time in my opinion.

Cheers

--

Peter Nixon
http://www.peternixon.net/