[Freeswitch-users] How to avoid clipping when transcoding to PCMA/U ?

David P davidswalkabout at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 21:33:20 UTC 2020

When we configure FSv10.4 to transcode Opus to PCMA/U, the output stream
always has clipping (peak amplitude is always -0.17dB, 0.99 linear when
measured in Audacity).

I tried configuring opus.conf.xml as suggested in
https://serverfault.com/a/807070 (with restart via: fs_cli -x 'fsctl
shutdown elegant restart') but it makes no difference.

When we simultaneously record the session with Audacity clientside, less
than half the available range is used, so the user mic doesn't have gain
too high.

How can we avoid clipping when transcoding?