[Freeswitch-users] Dest./port unreachable for RTCP and first few RTP packages

Michael Jerris mike at jerris.com
Thu Feb 9 20:12:10 MSK 2017

> On Feb 9, 2017, at 9:45 AM, René Weiss <rw at panorgan.ch> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> While looking at some traces in Wireshark I noticed some packages which
> generated an "Destination unreachable (Port unreachable)" ICMP answer
> from my server.
>
> These where:
>
> - All RTCP packages

We only by default enable rtcp if negotiated in the sdp.  There is a var you can set to override this and use by default even if not negotiated.  Note this may not work in some NAT scenarios.

> - At least in one case the first few RTP packages in a new call (6
> packages over around 0.12s, after that RTP worked)

This can be normal where we start sending media before the other side has set up their listener, or in nat scenarios, before they have started to send us media.

> So my questions are:
>
> - Should I be worried about these?

No

> - What's the deal with RTCP packages? Can/should I simply ignore them
>   or is there an option in freeswitch that I should set to handle them?

This all depends on if you want the information from rtcp or not.