[Freeswitch-users] Distributed conference

Emrah lists at kavun.ch
Fri Oct 21 16:13:43 MSD 2016

For audio only, it's rather easy to get it done. It's more complicated to fine tune it and have it optimized.
I have a distributed set up that will endeavor to conference people in a geographically optimized manner and involve additional nodes per location covered.
I have my own database to handle user lists. Looks like FS, even with Postgres in the core, doesn't store conference data in a database. Very surprisingly so.

I have a context that strictly handles server to server conference connections. They come with different flags.

As far as your setup is concerned, I suggest you consider the following.

1. Have one box (or HA looking like one box) that only does signaling.
2. Have multiple conference boxes configured identically.
3. Put a max participants count on each box depending on their hardware.
4. Box 1 brings in box 2 when max participant count is reached.
5. Box 2 brings in box 3 when max participant count is reached, etc.
6. Signaling box calls in succession box 1, box 2 and box 3. Make sure to bypass media.
7. You're done and get a pay raise for your awesome job.

Hint: you can use specific flags to disconnect the boxes that called one another, i.e. have all "real" participants come in with an "endconf" flag and when the last one leaves, connection to the additional box will be dropped. Careful on how that plays if box 1 is full, box 2 is full, box 3 is half full, and suddenly box 1 is empty.

Good luck! Post your results here please.