[Freeswitch-users] Silence Detection in Recording

Trever L. Adams trever at middleearth.sapphiresunday.org
Mon Jun 6 22:54:37 MSD 2016

On 05/13/2016 01:39 AM, Jeevan Singh Dhami wrote:
> Hi,
> I have  recorded the  voice using freeswitch and  their found silence
> in recording if recording goes below  /given silence threshold. after
> that freeswitch stop the recording  .but there was no indication given
> by freeswitch for silence detection .Could  you please tell me there
> is any way to find the indication parameters in freeswitch. Either
> any solution for knowing silence found in recording in freeswitch./
> /please share the solution in same mail .i will appreciate your
> feedback. /
It sounds to me like you are using record app in FreeSWITCH, it stops
recording due to timeout or silence detection. And you are wanting to
know if the entire file was silence?

If I have understood you correctly, I have not been able to find a way
to do this directly in FreeSWITCH. I use a bash wrapper around sox to
extract the RMS delta level. If it exceeds a certain level (I have found
what largely works for my phone system, but it will be different for
yours I am sure), then there is actual usable audio. FreeSWITCH can call
external programs like that. I needed my shell script for a lua based
call screener. (I didn't want background noise and pops and clicks to be
a reason to ring the internal phones.)

I hope this helps,
Trever