[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH version 1.4.x end of life - recommendation please

Michael Jerris mike at jerris.com
Thu Nov 19 03:12:15 MSK 2015

> On Nov 18, 2015, at 6:49 PM, Andrew Keil <andrew.keil at visytel.com> wrote:
>
> To FreeSWITCH users,
>
> In order for my client to plan for FreeSWITCH version 1.4.x end of life, I have a few questions that I hope the FreeSWITCH team can help answer:
>
> 1)      Since the FreeSWITCH version 1.4.x branch is going end of life in early 2016, then obviously I need my client to migrate to the FreeSWITCH version 1.6.x branch ASAP.  Is there a definite date when the FreeSWITCH version 1.4.x branch is going end of life?

We don't have a specific date set, we will provide as many critical and security fixes as we can for it for a while.  That being said, we are already at the point where significant portions of fixes are not possible to back-port due to significant changes in the code between 1.4 and 1.6.  This continues to get worse over time.

> 2)      Regarding the FreeSWITCH version 1.6.x branch:
> a.       Can this run on CentOS 6.x (ie. the latest release of CentOS 6)?

We have made minimal effort to try to package dependencies for it, and it was abandoned as it was determined to be too much work.  Its probably possible, but expect to:

1. Not have any support for video features.
2. Spend significant time working on packaging your own dependencies and testing.

>                                                                i.      I understand that CentOS 7 is recommended, however upgrading the OS is a much bigger task than simply upgrading FreeSWITCH.  Especially since my client is also PCI compliant to enable credit card processing, which requires rigorous Operating System lockdown.  Currently my client will not be using the video features inside FreeSWITCH (ie. initially only using the feature set inside the FreeSWITCH version 1.4.x branch).
>                                                              ii.      Is there anything I should be aware of when trying to get FreeSWITCH version 1.6.x branch working on CentOS 6?

We have done zero testing on it.  You will have to do all the dependency packaging back-porting for the deps you need and do testing and let us know.