[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH version 1.4.x end of life - recommendation please

Andrew Keil andrew.keil at visytel.com
Thu Nov 19 02:49:24 MSK 2015

To FreeSWITCH users,

In order for my client to plan for FreeSWITCH version 1.4.x end of life, I have a few questions that I hope the FreeSWITCH team can help answer:

1)      Since the FreeSWITCH version 1.4.x branch is going end of life in early 2016, then obviously I need my client to migrate to the FreeSWITCH version 1.6.x branch ASAP.  Is there a definite date when the FreeSWITCH version 1.4.x branch is going end of life?

2)      Regarding the FreeSWITCH version 1.6.x branch:

a.       Can this run on CentOS 6.x (ie. the latest release of CentOS 6)?

                                                               i.      I understand that CentOS 7 is recommended, however upgrading the OS is a much bigger task than simply upgrading FreeSWITCH.  Especially since my client is also PCI compliant to enable credit card processing, which requires rigorous Operating System lockdown.  Currently my client will not be using the video features inside FreeSWITCH (ie. initially only using the feature set inside the FreeSWITCH version 1.4.x branch).

                                                             ii.      Is there anything I should be aware of when trying to get FreeSWITCH version 1.6.x branch working on CentOS 6?

I appreciate any feedback that you are able to provide to make this process as painless as possible.

Regards,

Andrew Keil