[Freeswitch-users] any handset recommendations that operate like polycom+cisco?

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Mon Jan 26 01:13:34 MSK 2015

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 1:01 PM, Nathan Neulinger <nneul at mst.edu> wrote:

> Personally I think it's nuts... but we have a number of
> secretary/admin/receptionist users with Cisco expansion modules
> that have the shared lines of all of the people in their department on
> them. (i.e. a 7940/7960 plus the module). Usually
> with some portion of the other lines set to just flash and not audibly
> ring. While I'd expect that in most cases they
> really would be sufficient with busy lamp, sometimes they do use it to
> answer arbitrary calls for faculty that are out
> of the office/etc.
>
> With the transitioned cisco phones on FS/mod_skinny - it works the same
> way, however we're wanting to position ourselves
> with suitable replacements, particularly for any departments that want
> more than bare bones functionality.
>
> With the polycom phones, it appears to also work that way where you can
> have a sip account for every line key if you
> want - even including the expansion modules.
>
> However, on the Yealink phones (got looking at them cause of the T46G I
> won at ClueCon) we found the number of accounts
> very limited.
>
> It turns out that with the latest firmware (73.x) on the Yealink units the
> count is increased on a number of the models
> (to 16 on the T46 for example). The problem is that with the middle tier
> ones that you'd add an expansion module to - it
> doesn't really get you anything. If your base phone is limited to 6
> accounts, adding the expansion module ONLY gets you
> busy-lamp or speed dials.
>
> We're working on getting the users "converted" to not using full lines
> wherever possible, but still want options open.
>
> -- Nathan

Thanks for the explanation. I share your feelings about the T46. I love
that phone but hate the fact that you only get 6 SIP accounts. (Glad to
hear that they added more in a recent firmware - I'll test that out at some
point...)

If you find a solution other than the Cisco one I would be interested in
hearing about it.

Thanks,
Michael