[Freeswitch-users] High Availability Communication Project #1

Giovanni Maruzzelli gmaruzz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 12:50:55 MSD 2015

My take:

We can start focusing on a minimal definition of HA: a freeswitch system
which will withstand failures of its components.

This can then be extended to an horizontally scalable system, capable of
serving monstruous amount of calls, having internal partitioning, etc.

For our project I will start with a minimal HA setup:
-two dispatchers (kamailio and or opensips)
- in front of two freeswitches
- that uses two databases (in master-master, active-passive)
- special services like conferences and queues will be automatically
partitioned
- and using heartbeat or keepalived for floating ip address

Having this simple setup automatically built and.configured from packages
would be very very valuable, and will solve the needs of 90% of "single
company" deployments.

Then, we can.expand from there toward an ultimate ideal aim to have
multiple freeswitch machines load balanced in a.cluster, that uses
a.cluster of databases, and serves unlimited amount of calls for many
different tenants, span on multiple datacenter, and maybe automatically
serves traffic spikes from cloud, but we all know that at his extreme this
more ambitious endeavour will be order of magnitudes more complex,
customized to the specific requirements, require massive investment to be
deployed "real world", etc

I would start with a.more humble and reachable HA setup as described in
beginning of this post, and strive to find for it the perfect blend (or
blends) by concentrating and distilling all community knowledge.

Let's first reach the lower hanging.fruit, and have it perfect. After it,
sky is the limit.

-giovanni

sent from my mobile,
Giovanni Maruzzelli