[Freeswitch-users] Getting to the bottom of a problem

Alex Lake alex at digitalmail.com
Thu Sep 4 18:32:22 MSD 2014

My freeswitch installation (running under Ubuntu 12.04) has a habit of
mysteriously stopping. It's not doing this in a predictable manner (eg.
it's not when any particular bit of dialplan is being executed).

I have a script that runs every minute to see if it's running, and if it
isn't, starts it up (and sends me a notification).

I'd like to be able to get to the bottom of this, but am not
particularly (or at all!) experienced in running gdb. If I follow the
brief instructions in the Wiki to run "gdb bin/freeswitch" I don't seem
to get a working freeswitch running at all. What should I see on the
command line when I issue that command? This what I currently see:

-----
root at hzhmay14a /home/oev/fs-pabx/scripts # gdb --args
/usr/local/freeswitch/bin/freeswitch -nonat
GNU gdb (Ubuntu/Linaro 7.4-2012.04-0ubuntu2.1) 7.4-2012.04
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
<http://bugs.launchpad.net/gdb-linaro/>...
Reading symbols from /usr/local/freeswitch/bin/freeswitch...done.
(gdb)
(gdb)
-----

There's a mysterious (to me) command line parameter "-core" that I was
wondering if it might be useful in my circumstances.

I'm also prepared to do a new build (with some kind of diagnostic
params) if that helps.

Any tips or suggestions of things to read up on most welcome....