[Freeswitch-users] [OL]Re: best way to receive FAXs

bruce at sqls.net bruce at sqls.net
Fri Jul 11 17:11:57 MSD 2014

I receive about 1500 faxes a month with FreeSWITCH/SpanDSP and
Flowroute.  I send about 100 or so, so not nearly as many in that
direction.  Sent faxes almost always work fine short of noanswer, voice
answer, etc.

For received faxes I get a lot more failures then I would like however,
close to 15%.  Usually by the 3rd try most faxes make it through though.
   I've been told (here) that this is absolutely horrible and any
half-decent system would perform better but I've yet to be told what a
half-decent system is or some "best practices".   I've fiddled with many
settings and I seem to get the best overall success with the below
settings (over the defaults).  I've gone back and forth with the v17
being disabled and it seems it works better with some fax machines
having it one way and with other machines it's better the other way.
I'm working on making my lua scripts adjust the settings on-the-fly and
remember what works for each CID or DID.

fax_disable_v17 = true
fax_enable_t38 = true
fax_enable_t38_request = true
fax_verbose = true
ignore_early_media = true

I've wrote a couple of small LUA scripts to use with FreeSWITCH to help
manage faxing.  They allow you to configure DID to Email routes, set
default fax settings and fax settings per DID or CID, view some basic
stats, and a few other things all from the fs_cli console.  It stores
everything in a sqlite3 database.  It's pretty rough around the edges
still, but maybe it could help some.  The receive fax script has a bit
of code that tries to figure out if a caller is a voice caller but I
don't think it's entirely accurate but it does seem to work decently.

http://git.bmts.us/gitweb/?p=fsfax.git;a=summary