[Freeswitch-users] why is the user directory in core and not a module

Vik Killa vipkilla at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 16:31:50 MSK 2014

Good morning,
I am considering creating my own database driven user directory for user
authentication to replace the current setup of using XML.
My question is, why is this aspect of freeswitch built-in to the core,
rather than a module? Also, since it is built-in core, other modules (IE
mod_voicemail) rely upon it. Because of this, it seems nearly impossible to
get away from using freeswitch's XML user directory.
Wouldn't it be better to have abstract code in core that obtains the user
directory information from a module (mod_user_directory could be the first
module that uses XML like current standard)? This way you can use a
different module for user auth. and other modules (like mod_voicemail) can
still rely on core for user information?
Thanks