[Freeswitch-users] Distinctive Ring

Steven Schoch schoch+freeswitch.org at xwin32.com
Wed Apr 23 22:53:44 MSD 2014

We use Polycom SoundPoint IP phones. I don't know if this is the 'correct'
way to do it, but this makes the phones ring differently for internal
calls. I have these lines in the dialplan/default.xml file:

    <extension name="Local_Extension">
      <condition field="destination_number" expression="^(5[0-6][0-9])$"
require-nested="false">
        <condition field="${accountcode}" expression="^.+$">
          <action application="export" data="alert_info=internal"/>
        </condition>

The 'accountcode' variable is set when it's a local phone calling. As I
said, I'm not sure if that's the "right" way to do it, but it works.

The 'alert_info' variable causes the 'Alert-Info' header to be set, which
the Polycom phones use to determine which ringer to use. I have no idea if
the Cisco phones use the same header.

We also use a third ring tone when a caller uses the "Dial by Name"
feature. The theory was that these calls are not as important because the
caller doesn't know my extension. In practice, this is useless because I
just look at the Caller-ID.

On the "operator" calls, it looks like this:

    <extension name="operator">
      <condition field="destination_number" expression="^operator$">
        <action application="export" data="alert_info=external"/>

You can't dial an alpha number from a phone, so that comes from a transfer
from the IVR.

--
Steve