[Freeswitch-users] FusionPBX - any other options or should I keep trying?

Phil Mickelson phil at cbasoftware.com
Thu Apr 3 21:50:49 MSD 2014

Adelia,

Hopefully what I'm about to say will not disrupt everything.  However,
since I'm over 60 I don't worry about things like that much anymore.

1.  FreeSWITCH is, without a doubt the most sophisticated and capable
softswitch out there now.  However, it is not the easiest to work with
nor the simplest.  With sophistication and capabilities and speed you
also gain complexity.  BTW, I've had more than a bit of experience
with Kazoo and 2600hz and that product makes FS and Fusion easy.  I
won't get started on that.

2.  FusionPBX does work.  I've gotten it to work.  As you have found,
it's not the easiest to setup.  And, it's basically supported by a
single person.  He does try to help and he provides classes with some
regularity.

3.  If you are not planning on making VoIP your life work (which it
sounds like you're not) may I recommend (without getting flamed too
much) that you look at Asterisk?  I believe you'll find the amount of
support is much more complete both in GUIs available and just general
support.  There are whole lot more people using Asterisk than FS.  I
will tell you, you can't do multi-tenant (at least not reasonably -
before I get flamed by the Asterisk folks out there too!).  And, it
also cannot handle anywhere near the number of concurrent calls that
FS can.  But, if you're mostly interested in getting something off the
ground, you're going to do in-house installation and you're going to
have < 100 concurrent calls (this is a very conservative estimate and
greatly depends on your hardware, etc) then please take a look at
Asterisk.

Regards